LA PAROISSE STE-ANNE

A link to List of parishioners marriages

Important People, Places and Events

Introduction

Eglise Ste-Anne

Eglise Ste-Anne

History

Bishop Joseph-Bruno Guigues was responsible for the creation of the church, as by the 1870s Ottawa's French Catholic population outgrew the Notre-Dame Cathedral. Pierre Rocque worked as the contractor and assisted LeCourt in the construction. Bishop Guigues laid the cornerstone on May 4, 1873.

In April 2009, part of the roof collapsed, resulting in an 18-month restoration costing more than $1 million. Eight months after the church reopened, it was closed again by the Archdiocese of Ottawa due to dwindling attendance and economic problems. Archbishop Terrence Prendergast offered the building to the community of St. Clement Parish, which agreed to the move and began holding Masses at Ste-Anne's on June 3, 2012.

Ste-Anne Catholic Church (Ottawa) Ste-Anne Catholic Church Location: 528 Old St. Patrick Street in the Lowertown neighbourhood of Ottawa, Ontario Country: Canada Denomination: Catholic History Founder: Bishop Guigues Dedication: Saint-Anne Architecture Status Church Functional status: Heritage designation: Designated heritage property Designated: 1978 Architect: J.P. LeCourt. Architectural type French Colonial Revival Completed: 1873 Administration Parish St. Clement Parish Archdiocese: Archdiocese of Ottawa Ecclesiastical province of Ottawa Ontario Heritage Act Official name: Ste-Anne Roman Catholic Church Ste-Anne is a Catholic church located at 528 Old St. Patrick Street in the Lowertown neighbourhood of Ottawa, Canada.Built in 1873 by architect J.P. LeCourt, it is one of the few examples of traditional Quebecois church architecture in Ontario. Ste-Anne is the home of St. Clement Parish, a bilingual parish community that celebrates the Mass and other sacraments in Latin according to the liturgical norms of the 1962 Roman Missal.

Heritage Designation Ste-Anne Catholic Church is a designated heritage property under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. It is commemorated by the City of Ottawa with the following plaque: 1873 Eglise Sainte-Anne This traditional Quebec style church was designed by the architect J.P. Lecourt. The steeply-pitched roof and facade sculptures are common to churches of this type. It originally served the lowertown parish which extended to Notre Dame Cemetery. Designated Heritage property 1978. .

Architecture The building features a plain stone facade with a medieval-inspired rose window. The doors, windows, and three statuary niches contain classical rounded arches. A detailed three-tiered belfry tops contrasts with the simple stone facade

IMPORTANT PEOPLE

History Priests

Jean-Baptiste Theodore Alleau 1873-1876

Laurent Boivin 1876-1880

Mgr. J. O. Routhier 1880-1881

Philippe Chatillon 1881-1881

Mgr. J. O. Routhier 1881-1882

Remi Prud'homme 1882-1892

Philppe Beauchamp 1892-1896

Stanislas Moreau 1896-1897

Alexandre Beausoleil 1897-1903

Mgr. Joseph-Alfred Myrand 1903-1949

Mgr William Scantland 1949-1965

Mgr Charles-Auguste Demers 1965-1980

Mgr Rene Denis 1980-1981

Mgr Andre Drouin 1981-2009